First Step: The Engagement

I figured I have some catching up to do. I have been engaged since April 24, 2011. John and I have just recently set our official wedding date for March 9, 2013. Yes, this is a long engagement, but it's half way over! I am down to one year before the wedding and I couldn't be any more excited! I am going into my Senior year at Sam Houston so my last semester will be crazy!

The Engagement:

April 24, 2011-- It was Easter Sunday, John showed up at my parent's house around 11am so that we could all go to church together. I, of course, was still sleeping. I always wait until the last minute to get up and get ready for anything, whether it's work, school, or church. He knocked on my door, came in and told me we had to leave for church in 30 minutes.
St. Helens, the church I have been going to since I was about 8 years old. 'Wow, things have changed'  was all I could think about. I was now in college, standing next to my boyfriend of 2 years, and my younger brother was now taller than me. The priest was talking about The New Beginning, Christ rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven, this paved the way for Christians. I looked over at John because his grasp on my hand was getting tighter and tighter. He looked nervous so I lightly moved my thumb over the top of his hand. He lightened up and smiled at me.
Church was over and it was time for us to head over to our neighbor's house. This has become an unspoken tradition, but makes me happy nonetheless. Since all of our family lives scattered across the US, they are the closest thing we have to family on holidays. They had a full house, everyone was so joyful. John and my dad disappeared to "the store" to get some last minute dinner items. Everyone kept hugging me and asking me my plans. I was thinking it was because it was the first time in about 3 months that I had been home from school.  We had dinner and around 8 o'clock, John and I decided it was time for us to drive back to our own little town. I ran next door to grab my purse and found a huge Easter basket full of my favorite candies next to my purse. On the front, was a picture of me and John. I thought this was extremely cute and thanked him when I saw him outside next to the car.
He was quiet most of the ride, giving me a kiss on the cheek every now and then.
Being the girl that I am, I had way to much packed for only being back home a couple of days. John kept telling me to leave the luggage and just go inside the apartment, even my dog was barking at me.
I picked up the Easter basket and my dog's kennel and started walking to the apartment.
I opened the front door and walked to the dining room table to set down my things.
"Tina just put that down", John kept saying to me.
I was getting irritated at this point, I just wanted to organize my things so I didn't have to do it later. I heard my name once again and turned around to see John on one knee, holding an Easter egg. I looked over at the Easter basket then back at the egg wondering what he was doing. He opened it up and the most beautiful diamond ring was inside. He told me I was the love of his life and his best friend then asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes! I kissed him even though he was still on one knee. I assumed he was nervous because he was still shaking even after my answer. I have never been so happy in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment